Planners are a great way to stay organized. The use of planners is not restricted to working professionals. In fact, any person can benefit from using a planner. You need to find your purpose and choose accordingly. Stay-at-home moms and dads can use planners to help them plan out chores, activities, doctor appointments, and much more!
Similarly, students can use a planner to plan their classes, assignments, etc. While lovely planners are available for purchase, making your own planner is a good idea as you can customize it the way you want. In this article, I will explain how you can create an affordable yet useful planner using a simple notebook and a few other supplies.
Things You’ll Need
- A notebook
- Black pen
- A plain sheet of paper
- A ruler
Since making a planner involves several elements, I have created a video to show you how exactly I made this student planner for my daughter. Take a look!
What all can you can include in a planner
Here are a few ideas on the things you can jot down in your student planner –
- Homework time
- Study plan
- Assignments and their due dates
- Exam dates
- Parties and celebrations
- Family gatherings
- Vacation time
- School events
- Field trip dates
How you can use your planner
1. Keep it visible – Don’t keep your planner hidden in a drawer. Keep it somewhere where it’s visible and easy to access at any time of the day.
2. Set a specific time for planning – On the first day of every month, write down important events, dates to remember, and other scheduled tasks so you have them noted for a quick reminder. Choose a specific time of the day, maybe first thing in the morning or the night before, to plan your day effectively.
3. Stay Consistent – If you want to benefit from using a planner, you must use it regularly. Using it once or twice a week will not serve its purpose. Using a planner is a habit you must work on. Once you get into it, you can make the most of it.
4. Use all the elements of the planner – A planner has multiple elements to help you stay organized and on track.
Write down your goals, the books you wish to read, and the skills you want to learn, all in one place. This will motivate and inspire you as you achieve your aspirations and give you a sense of accomplishment as you progress.
Use the monthly planner to plan your month in advance. Write down important dates, notes, and reminders, so you don’t miss a thing. By looking at your monthly schedule, you can allocate your time effectively and avoid overloading yourself with too many tasks.
Note down your class schedule and exam dates so that you can keep track of your classes and ensure that you are prepared for your exams.
Utilize the weekly and daily planner pages to chalk out a simple and achievable plan. Use the to-do list to remember all the tasks and errands you need to complete to stay organized and focused throughout the day.
Make the most of the Mood tracker and Habit tracker in your planner to monitor your mental and emotional well-being and track your progress toward forming positive habits.
Benefits of using a planner
Planning is essential to ensure success. People who use a planner have a visual plan of what they are supposed to do during the day or weeks ahead. It helps them stay on top of things that need their attention and hence, are able to get things done more efficiently than those who do not have a plan. Let me share how using a planner can help you in the long run.
1. It helps you keep track of everything you need to accomplish and stay organized.
2. It enhances productivity as you strive to get things done at scheduled times.
3. You can keep a record of all your activities and deliverables in one place, which allows you to access the information whenever you want.
4. It gives you a platform to create and maintain effective schedules.
5. You can manage your time effectively by using the time-blocking technique in the planner.
6. A planner encourages you to express yourself through creativity. Doodling, adding stickers, and drawing pictures, are exciting parts of using a planner.
7. It reduces stress levels as you have everything planned out and know your priorities. The fear of failing to do essential tasks is significantly reduced if you have planned it out well.
8. It increases accountability towards your set goals and commitments.
How planners help with memory and focus
Besides the benefits I mentioned above, using a planner also positively impacts memory and focus. This is especially good for students who are learning ways to manage time and stay organized. Firstly, writing down important tasks in the planner enhances their memory because when they write down their task, they are more likely to remember them. Plus, they can also refer to it whenever needed. Secondly, trying to remember tasks to complete keeps our memory engaged. Having a written plan allows us to concentrate on the tasks at hand without the fear of forgetting other tasks.
A planner is an excellent tool for staying organized and focused on your tasks. A DIY planner using a simple notebook can help you stay motivated to get things done. By keeping track of schedules, assignments, goals, and your efforts toward self-improvement, you can take control of your life and make the most of your time. So why not start creating your own student planner today and experience the benefits yourself?