In a world with accessible smartphones and the internet, online games are the rage. Everybody is playing them. Apart from recreational functions, online games can also serve educationally. The innovative graphics and the audio-visual elements that online games offer, make learning easy and fun, especially for children.
Do online math games really work for kindergarten?
On average, in the USA and Canada, children between the age of 2 to 6 years attend kindergarten or preschool. Children in this age group are imaginative and creative. That is why they find it hard to concentrate on the traditional methods of learning maths.
Additionally, in the twenty-first century, kids grow up around mobile devices and video content. This is the reason why online games have the ability to work. They have a story, characters, and attractive setups which appeal to children. It helps with building concentration, curiosity, and a zeal to achieve scores.
Top 9 Addition and Subtraction games for kindergarten
- Little Panda Math Genius: Education Game for Kids – This game is created by BabyBus. It uses a simple yet attractive design. For each correct answer, the user gets coins. Because of its interactive feature, the game is appealing to children and keeps them interested in it. It also allows in-app purchases.
- Sababa Kindergarten Math – A part of Sababa Education, this online game is specifically designed for kindergarten. This game includes all the basics which are important for a better understanding of mathematics and calculations. The design is attractive and suitable to hold a child’s attention. It allows the addition of three numbers, geometry, and price calculations. It also has a structure designed especially for gradual learning.
- Addition and Subtraction – Designed by IDZ Digital Pvt. Limited, this game comes with several features to make learning easy and fun. Its suitable for kids up to the age of 8. There are more than 350 games included in it and each one is structured differently. Starting from simple addition and subtraction problems, it also has math puzzles and color-coordinated games. It is safe for kids and does not contain any ads. Additionally, you can also use the games offline by simply saving them beforehand.
- Math Jungle: Kindergarten – This math game is designed by Little Big Thinkers. Suitable for children up to the age of 5, this is the appropriate game to start off with. It has a colorful configuration and a central figure of a monkey which makes it all the more interesting for children. The action is to help the monkey collect bananas and learn basic addition and subtraction through it. The app does not collect any personal information and is completely safe.
- Preschool and Kindergarten Learning Games – Rosi Mosi LLC has developed this game which contains much more than simple addition and subtraction. There are several features such as audio narration and sound effects which facilitate a child to have fun while learning. With this app, one can also learn counting, sorting, and measurement. Some of the advanced features include a detailed report of progress and the development of a specific plan for the child. It is suitable till the age of 7.
- Animal Math Kindergarten Math Games for Kids – This game has been created by Eggroll Games. If you are familiar with Dora the Explorer, you will be delighted to know that the game uses a similar concept. Emma, the central character in the game, is a math explorer. She solves problems along with her pets Ralphie the cat and Oleg the owl. The characters and storyline make math practice lively and enthusiastic for kids. The reward structure in the game also helps in keeping children engaged.
- Simple Math – Developed by Easy Health, as the name of the game goes, it helps kids to learn the basics gradually. It has an attractive interface that creates a balance between education and entertainment. Contained within the app, you will also find video tutorials that explain how to play. There are several languages available such as French, German, Italian, and Arabic. This game has been designed by experts with the intention to make it stimulating for children.
- Learning Addition and Subtraction – Myra App has designed this simple yet attractive game to make it easier for children to learn addition and subtraction. Within each division, there are three levels. This feature also helps build healthy competitiveness in children. Additionally, the levels make it easier for kids to learn the process of addition or subtraction properly.
- Monster Math – Created by Makkajai, this game has a creative interface. Maxx, the sweet and funny monster is the protagonist and the user learns through them. Along with addition and subtraction, the game also allows your child to practice tables and advanced math problems. The colorful graphics and adventures make it extremely fascinating for kids. It also has a practice mode for serious and rigorous sessions.
How to use these games for best results?
Online addition and subtraction games can significantly help kindergarten goers in enhancing their interests and skills in mathematics. However, there are certain things that parents and teachers should keep in mind to maximize the outcome. Here is a list of Dos and Don’ts –
- Make sure you find the game which best suits your child or student. The best way to know that is by using the trial and error method. Try out different games and assess their behavior and performance.
- Help them with understanding the game properly before you let them on their own. If they cannot figure out everything clearly, they might get distracted and uninterested.
- Keep a track of the progress that they are making by checking their performance regularly. Through this knowledge, you can make modifications that will help them to achieve more.
- Have a routine for the child but make it flexible. If you try to force a mundane schedule on them, it will be no different from the traditional curriculum.
- Always encourage them at every small achievement to keep them motivated and excited about the game.
- Keep in mind that you cannot use negative and violent behavior if the child faces any issue. Your aim should be conflict resolution.
- Make sure to add varieties to the gaming routine and not repeat the same games daily.
- Don’t let the child spend excessive time on the phone. There should be a fine balance between their on-screen time and off-screen time.
Math games can make learning fun and attractive. They are ideal for kindergarten students who are generally restless and have difficulty concentrating for a certain amount of time. Children are creative and the only way to make mathematics fun to them is by presenting it to them as a game. Addition and Subtraction online math games can help your child to get a grasp of the basics which are crucial.