While alphabet blocks, stairs activity, or scrabble games help children absorb spellings fun way, the worksheets offer them a resource to practice this skill with all seriousness. This is sometimes important when you want the kid to concentrate on the core learning instead of getting carried away by the gameplay. But, are books the only solution? Actually no! Kids tend to stray away from books because of their monotonous nature. That is why I have designed some worksheets for kids so that your repertoire of practice material never dries up.
Why worksheets to teach spellings to kids?
Worksheets break the monotony of the learning process. These are easy to compile and searching questions in these for practice does not take much time. So, instead of going through the whole book, early learners can utilize more time in the actual process of learning spellings. Apart from saving time, the other benefits offered by spelling worksheets for kids are:
- Worksheets offer the most relevant practice material for teaching spellings to kids. Since these are designed in accordance with progressive learning patterns, which means basic things first, kids do not feel overwhelmed by them.
- Secondly, the worksheets provide hands-on material for checking the learning progress. For example, kids can check proficiency in phonemics or phonics exercises first, then move to the CVC concept of spellings and like-wise.
- Since worksheets are designed topic-wise, the teachers can easily identify the problem areas of the kid and can guide them to put more efforts to overcome shortcomings.
- Worksheets can be used as a competition material. Children can be asked to solve them the fastest possible. With more and more time-pressed practice sessions, the early learners can become more fluent in spellings.
Now that you have understood how worksheets help achieve proficiency in spellings, let me take you through the worksheets to practice spellings that cover various concepts of word-formation. You can also download the free printable pdf version of the worksheets by clicking the link given.
Potential of spelling worksheets for kids
I am sure you must have given the above worksheets to early learners to practice spellings, and hopefully, they enjoyed these. Often, users of these worksheets shared with me the positive changes they saw in kids. I share here a few important ones:
- Kids show improvement in their letter-sound association abilities
- They improved on the identification of phonetic cues, which further helped them read fluently
- Easy recognition and recall of orthographic patterns. It means they showed increase flexibility in representing the spoken word in written form. It also means you can find improvement in their dictation-taking assignments’ scores.
- Worksheets significantly added to their knowledge of suffixes and prefixes and roots, and ultimately enhanced their words’ structural knowledge.
- Ability to derive spelling from the meaning of words improved with worksheets that had problems like ‘one-word substitution for phrases’.
There is no denying the fact that teachers or parents need different practice materials to keep children curious or engaged in spellings class. If manipulatives, board games, and practice workbooks help make the whole curriculum more interesting, worksheets further add more flavor to engaging spelling-teaching methods. With so many options to provide, the teachers can work better towards stimulating the minds of early learners and help them become fluent in solving all types of spelling-based problems.
Share the word
If you find this post helpful, then please help us spread the word. Share the post with your friends, family, and colleagues. Do not forget to subscribe to our updates. Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. You can reach us through the contact form and we will get back at you shortly.