What worksheets topics can help in learning everything about ratio and proportion? It is quite a valid question, especially when you don’t know what all we get to learn from the concept of ratio and proportion.
We have done number comparison games in one of our posts. There we learned only about comparing on the basis of their corresponding values. With worksheets for practicing ratio and proportion, we move one step ahead and learn how many times any number is smaller or greater than the other. For example, if we say 5>3, we are simply using number sense, and saying a set with 5 elements is more populous than that with 3. But, when we place the sign of ratio and write 5:3, we want to convey how many times the number 5 is as compared to three.
When 5:3 is presented in form of a fraction, the representation looks like 5/3. It is equal to approx. 1.67. So, the ratio tells that 5 is about 1.67 times more than the 3. Moving further from here, we come across the concept of proportion. Proportion tells how to equate the two ratios. The example, 5:3::25:15, is the representation of proportion and it means that 5/3 is the same as 25/15.
Thus, using ratio and proportion worksheets, learning comparing quantities becomes easier to achieve.
As a beginner, the search for worksheets that cover different types of problems can be confusing. So, we bring you here worksheets covering various problems based on ratio and proportion that can help you enhance your ratio calculation skills, and apply reasoning to arrive upon correct proportions. You can download free printable pdf version from the links given.
Why is it important to solve worksheets on ratio and proportion?
Ratio and proportion is a topic that you will employ in doing day-to-day activities all through life. So, being fully prepared for daily life’s applications require a lot of practice. The concept of ratio and proportion boosts relative thinking and allows us to explore the idea of comparing numbers with a more mature perspective. Worksheets can open up the mind to learn about ratio and proportion in a variety of ways. Early learners, as well as those thorough with this topic, can brush up on their ways to solve ratio/proportion-based problems by practicing with worksheets. The benefits of solving these worksheets are:
1. These acquaint early learners with basic problems first and then enhance the challenges to match the proficiency attained.
2. Smooth transition from easy to little complex problems helps to achieve a progressive learning curve. The students can find a level of comfort with the problems of varying complexities by solving regularly the worksheets on various ratio/proportion topics.
3. Helps knowing how ratio and proportion can be employed in various practical scenarios.For example, find the ratio of girls and boys in the class, or find the ratio of ingredients to size up or down a recipe, find the number of unemployed and unemployed people in a particular age-group, etc.
4. Offers a resource to solve all types of problems based on ratio-proportion; thus, it helps improve the perspective towards this math concept.
5. Help students improve their both reasoning and numeric skills and boost their problem-solving abilities. By sharing strategies, they get to strengthen the concept in a thoughtful way instead of simply resorting to rote memorization.
Ratio and proportion are almost anywhere around us. Whether you want to decide how much hot water to be added to cold to get optimally warm water or do more serious things like finding the literacy rate or the economic diversity in a country, you apply your learning of ratio and proportions. So, make it a point to practice worksheets often; alone as well as in a group, to internalize this highly useful topic and become more confident and fluent with this math concept.
Share the word
If you find this post helpful, then please help us spread the word. Share the post with your friends, family, and colleagues. Do not forget to subscribe to our updates. Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. You can reach us through the contact form and we will get back at you shortly.