Witty words and funny quotes always catch our attention. They lighten the atmosphere and make learning seem more effortless. A little humor is always welcome, especially while studying an overwhelming subject like Math and Geometry.
If we look closely, geometry is an integral part of our daily lives. Geometry is, with arithmetic, one of the oldest branches of mathematics. It is the branch of mathematics concerned with the properties and relations of points, lines, surfaces, solids, and higher dimensional analogs.
With so much to learn and retain, it would make the process fun to have quotes introduced while teaching Geometry. It also helps the educator communicate more efficiently with the students and keep them attentive during class.
Funny and quirky quotes on the use of geometry
1. The shortest distance between two points is under construction. – Bill Sanderson
2. Geometry is the science of correct reasoning on incorrect figures. – George Polya
3. It is hard to convince a high-school student that he will encounter a lot of problems more difficult than those of algebra and geometry.– E. W. Howe
4. Why is geometry often described as cold and dry? One reason lies in its inability to describe the shape of a cloud, a mountain, a coastline, or a tree.- Benoit Mandelbrot
5. I may not be great at geometry but I know one theorem. The longest distance between two points is you and your parents.- Jane Wagner
6. The first test of potential in mathematics is whether you can get anything out of geometry.- John Edensor Littlewood
7. There is still a difference between something and nothing, but it is purely geometrical and there is nothing behind the geometry.- Martin Gardner
8. How many theorems in geometry which have seemed at first impracticable are in time successfully worked out!.-Archimedes
9. I write rhymes with addition and algebra, and mental geometry.- Ice T
10. Geometry is the knowledge that appears to be produced by human beings, yet whose meaning is totally independent of them.– Rudolf Steiner
11. Geometry is not true, it is advantageous. – Henri Poincare
12. Geometry in every proposition speaks a language which experience never dares to utter, and indeed of which she but halfway comprehends the meaning. – William Whewell
13. Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry. – Thomas Jefferson
14. There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres. – Pythagoras
15. I think the universe is pure geometry – basically, a beautiful shape twisting around and dancing over space-time. – Antony Garrett Lisi
16. There is no royal road to geometry. – Euclid
17. I love the simplicity of the Cube because it’s a very clear geometrical shape, and I love geometry because it’s the study of how the whole universe is structured. – Erno Rubik
18. You can’t criticize geometry. It’s never wrong. – Paul Rand
19. One geometry cannot be more true than another; it can only be more convenient. – Robert M. Pirsig
20. As astronomy is the daughter of idleness, geometry is the daughter of property.– Bernard le Bovier de Fontenelle
Can quotes help us realize the gravity of geometry?
Quotes help look at things differently, prompting one to look in a different direction. Geometry is an essential part of our lives, and quotes draw attention to it. The quotes shed light on the role geometry plays in objects and concepts we use every day, through humor too. It also highlights the importance of Math and geometry in other related subjects.
Quotes do help us shift our attention to things that were not in the picture earlier. Thereby helping us realize its value of it. Maths and geometry are taken as a challenge by children due to the complex concepts involved. Usage of quotes in the classroom by the educator helps in making communication easier, therefore, helping in the learning process too.
Geometry is basically all about shapes and the way we look at them. It also plays an important role in our daily activities like culinary arts, computer games, and objects like medical equipment and even cars. These are areas where we don’t even realize the use of geometry. Quotes can highlight aspects like this and make us appreciate the role played by this subject in the world around us.
Quotes also capture and appeal to the subconscious mind. This stimulates creativity. This can immediately change the thought process and direct the attention to a particular path.
So usage of quotes or anecdotes does help one in realizing the importance and gravity of the subject.
Geometry affects us even in the most basic areas of our life. Irrespective of the form it helps us understand specific concepts and improve our quality of life. Buildings, vehicles, equipment, machinery, animations, all these, and more use geometry. Quotes are an enjoyable way to have the class participate in learning and to make the experience memorable Gaining knowledge must not be cumbersome. Funny quotes help to ease the atmosphere and have the attention of the learner. Witty words and well-phrased sentences help to retain the concept in memory easily.
The creative element of the students is activated through the usage of quotes by helping them look at things in a different perspective. They learn to identify and appreciate where the subject has been put to use around them. So go ahead and add a few laughs to learning.